Wednesday, 5 April 2017

Welcome to What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday

Morning peeps,

How's the week coming along?

A few people have passed comment on the fact I bought (and have managed to use already) a practical Murano glass souvenir from our recent trip to Venice ..... a glass dip pen. It came with three metal nibs and I acquired (whilst instore here) a GLASS nib. Impossible to imagine? Right .. me too, and yet - the swirls in the glass nib allow you to load more ink so the pen writes for much longer than the traditional metal nibs - cunning!

The pen set, including sepia ink and three metal nibs
And the (not cleaned very well) glass nib itself!
I've only used the above a couple of times, I fear it will take more practice before I am any good with either of the nibs .... having worked in a drawing office for a number of years my first instinct is to hold my pen at a very steep angle - the opposite appears to be recommended when deploying the dip pen .... but, I'm no quitter!

And now for some crafting .... my mojo's been a little, shall we say, "SHY" since my return from Italy but I have managed to deploy a stamp which hasn't seen ink in a loooooooooooong time!

My ATC
Materials used:
  • ATC blank
  • Snippets of card in black and white
  • Border doodled on black panel using glass dip pen and pearlescent acrylic ink
  • Me & My Big Ideas image stamped on to white card using Memento tuxedo black ink
  • Alcohol markers used to colour image and background
  • Paper Artsy circles image (from JOFY14) stamped using Memento rosebud ink
  • Stardust stickles to highlight
  • Plaid dimensional gloss on balloon




I'll be entering this for the following challenges:-
  1. Crafty Sentiments - April 4th challenge - ANYTHING GOES
  2. Through The Craft Room Door - April 4th challenge - ANYTHING GOES
  3. Glitter 'n Sparkle - challenge No. 233 - PASTEL COLOURS
  4. Lil Patch of Crafty Friends - challenge No. 55 - ANYTHING GOES

And now, since it IS WOYWW ... here's a sneaky peek at my desk - I'll be entering this over at Julia's blog where she is hosting WOYWW #409 and where I shall be entry #12






33 comments:

serendipity said...

your glass nib is a lovely thing, good luck with learning to use it. Looking forward to seeing your 'scribbles'
such a cheerful ATC, too. Who cannot be uplifted by a balloon?

Linby said...

I was wondering about the glass pen you mentioned the other day - TYFS - I think I would just get ink everywhere!
Lovely card - what a sweet stamp.

Annie said...

Thanks for visiting me already today. I love the look of your pen nibs and would love to see what you do with them.
Hope you have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie x #7

donna garner said...

I am truly madly deeply in love with your glass pen nib Kathy - AWESOME Dxxx #17

Sarah Brennan said...

Thanks for visiting earlier. That pen looks gorgeous, I can't believe you can get glass nibs, but then it was from Murano. I can't wait to see some samples of your work with it. Sarah #4

Diana Taylor said...

The glass pen is beautiful, I bet it's a joy to work with, it looks like it would be less 'scratchy' than a metal nibbed pen. Such a sweet card too.
Hope you have a great week, and thanks for visiting,
Diana #20

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Oooh, I'm intrigued by the glass nib pen! Will defo look into it! I can imagine it glides better on paper than the metal ones. Cute little card - it made me smile! Have a happy week! zsuzsa #22

Angela Radford said...

Hi Kathy, the pens look really interesting, not seen anything like them before. I'm interested to see how you go on with it. Thanks for the visit to mine, have a great crafty week and a happy woyww,
Angela x24x

SARN said...

Such a lovely looking thing that new pen of yours. So CLASSY.

Sweet little ATC.

HAPPY WOYWW xxx

lilian said...

great looking glass pen and nib. Good luck with that,
liking the card, The image is sweet.

lilian

Diane Baker-Williams said...

I'm intrigue with the glass pen but know myself well enough to know I would have it broke in no time! Still, love that you shared it and look forward to hearing more about when you use it. Your desk looks very busy and full of inspiration.

Helen said...

That pen is gorgeous! I will say hi to Lauren (if I remember)! Helen #1

Shaz Brooks said...

Hi Kathy, that glass nibbed pen is an amazing piece. I'd be too scared of breaking it from using too much pressure on it. I know my limits, lol. Great card too.Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #6 XxX

Mimi said...

Oh wow... that pen is amazing! You've really got to go play at Shopping Our Stash more often... you are so good about using older items!

Christine said...

thanks for visiting mine earlier - we've just come home and Little Soldier is fasto ....
Love that pen set but I have to say how wonderful to stay in Venice. We visited it once when we stopped up at Lago di Garda. We usually stay round there cos we have friends just south...
I see your desk is as busy as mine!
have a good week
Christine #18

Neet said...

Your desk looks busy - guess your glass pen is not on there somewhere. It looks most interesting and the glass nib is something else.
Thanks for sharing
Hugs, Neet 2 xx (who loves Venice)

Sharon Koole said...

Wow! What a beautiful pen. I'd love one of those.

Happy WOYWW
Sharon K #34

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I am intrigues by that glass nib - thank you for the close up as I wouldn't have believed that such a thing existed otherwise! I have a very nice calligraphy set of pens but not half as beautiful as that....i have nib envy......
HUgs, LLJ 10 xxx

lisa said...

Ohhh Venice, now that makes me very envious. I am dying to go and visit that beautiful city. Your pen is beautiful and the glass nib is a thing I would never had thought existed, quite amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Hugs Lisax #25

Lindart said...

That nib is very interesting - I picked up something very similar at a garage sale a few years ago, I thought it was for poking holes, but now I will try it with ink and see what happens! Nice creatively messy desk! Thanks for sharing, Lindart #38

Robyn said...

that pen is a stunner! I feel right at home with a purple person!
Robyn 3

Kathyk said...

I have Venice photos on my last Saturday and Sunday post if anyone wants to check them out

Kathyk

Pat said...

That glass nib is a beauty Kathy and love that sweet image and pretty soft colours you have used, except for that beautiful bright pink balloon and love the circle stamp you have used in the background. x

Monica said...

What a fascinating pen that is Kathy,. I bought a cheap dip pen as it was on Wanderlust supply list and was amazed that i can use it. A glass nib sounds unreal. it sounds very exotic. I hope they demonstrated it for you.
I am off to visit everyone. Have a fun week and be careful with your pen.
Monica #35

Debs M said...

love that glass nib and fabby make x

BJ said...

Amazing pen, and lovely card too. Thanks for the visit yesterday BJ#9

marion said...

love the selfmade circles on your wonderfull card, thank you for playing with us at LCOPF and good luck, hugs, Marion

sandra de said...

The glass nib is a work of art in itself. Have a great week.
sandra de @26

Cherry said...

What a work of art that pen is Mrs K. Love it and I know you will master it.

Great ATC too - love the overall effect. Hugs C xxx

Wendy's Place said...

Beautiful card, so lovely! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Sentiments and good luck!
Hugs, Wendy / GDT

Marit said...

Oh my goodness... I want a pen with a glass nib too! I am a pen-addict and I'm in ooh and aah, only over its shape in itself... have fun practising! Thanks for visiting my desk last week (yep, I'm late with visiting back) Love from Holland, Marit #13

Farida Rone said...

Super cute card!
Thanks for playing with us at TTCRD.
Hugs,
Farida

Helen said...

A great card - thanks for joining us at Lil Patch of Crafty Friends.

We hope you will join us again for our next challenge which started today.

Helen x
(DT for Lil Patch of Crafty Friends)